Self-playing grand piano
In the Netherlands, there are only two large self-playing grand pianos by Steinway & Sons. One of them has recently become part of the Voorlinden collection, the concert piano D-274 Spirio|r. This absolute masterpiece has the finest dynamics and is a favorite among great concert pianists. Thanks to the Spirio functionality, it can play the most beautiful compositions without a pianist. The grand piano’s music library contains hundreds of works – often with video images – played by the world’s best pianists. As a result, you can enjoy countless compositions, from Claude Debussy to Bob Dylan, and brilliant performances by pianists such as Lang Lang, Myra Hess, Vladimir Horowitz and Sergei Rachmaninov.
Yang Yang Cai kicks off
The first pianist to take a seat behind the special concert grand piano is Yang Yang Cai (1998). At the age of five, she started taking piano lessons with Noor Relijk. Later on, she studied with Jan Wijn and grew into a award-winning piano talent. For instance, she won the National Young Music Talent Competition and the prestigious Grand Prix Youri Egorov in the international YPF Piano Competition. At Voorlinden on Monday morning 21 August, she will play works by Beethoven, Granados and Rachmaninov.
For the programming of Voorlinden Classic, Voorlinden collaborates with Stichting Eigen Muziekinstrument. They bring the following young talents to Voorlinden:
- Monday 11 September 2023 (première): Alexandra Kaptein will play compositions by Schubert/Liszt and Schumann. Ischico Vezel will play work by Albéniz, Babajanian and Levina and Kasper Schoneville by Mendelssohn and Chopin.
- Monday 6 November 2023: Clarinetist Gerbrich Meijer and the ADAM Quartet will perform Mozart’s famous clarinet quintet and forgotten symphonies by Samuel Colridge-Taylor and Florence Price.
- Monday 4 December 2023: Singer Lucie Horsch and pianist Ramon van Engelenhoven will perform a set of folk songs, including pieces by Brahms, Debussy, De Falla and Bartók.
- Monday 8 January 2024: Harp talent Joost Willemze will play Mozart, Renié, Brener and De la Presle. The Animato Quartet will plays the String Quartet No. 1 in G by Grieg.
- Monday 5 February 2024: The Dianto Reed Quintet will perform ‘Identidades: la magia del duende’, with fragments by poet Federico Garcia Lorca.
- Monday 11 March 2024: The MAAT Saxophone Quartet presents their new project ‘No one is too small’ featuring contemporary compositions by Peter Vigh, Camiel Jansen, Frieda Gustavs, Camila Menino, Ana Roque and Luís Tinoco.
- Monday 1 April 2024: The Behn Quartet will perform compositions by female composers such as Germaine Tailleferre and Polish violinist Grazyna Bacewicz.
For tickets and extra information: www.voorlinden.nl