From 26.08 till 08.10.23
DIVA, the museum for diamonds, jewellery and silver in Antwerp, presents the Silver Triennial, exhibition for contemporary design from 26 August to 8 October 2023: the main international competition for silversmiths.
This three-yearly competition is organised by the German Gesellschaft für Goldschmiedekunst and the Deutsches Goldschmiedehaus Hanau. It showcases the best that contemporary silver has to offer. Designers and silversmiths are encouraged to question themselves and the properties of silver. They are challenged to look for the best and most innovative application of the material.
A total of 121 silversmiths, designers and artists registered for this 2023 edition. They come from 21 different countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and the United States of America. A jury of experts shortlisted the 67 most innovative entries for the exhibition. The members of the jury are:
- Dirk Allgaier – director of arnoldsche Art Publishers
- Dr Claudia Banz – curator Design at the Kunstgewerbemuseum (Museum of Decorative Arts) in Berlin
- JaKyung Shin – silversmith and assistant professor at Seoul National University in South Korea
The chosen objects vary in form, function and technique. You will see traditional utility objects – such as coffee pots, vases and dishes – but also artistic, non-functional objects that play with the characteristics of silver.
A notable feature of this edition of the Silver Triennial is the number of artists inspired by recent social and ecological issues such as the covid pandemic and climate change. They use silver to communicate critical messages and/or to process psychological stresses.
From the shortlist of participants, the jury chose three winners for the main competition and five winners for the competition for young talent. The Belgian silversmith David Huycke was awarded second prize in the main competition (the Robbe & Berking prize) for his ‘Cosmic Bubbles’. Other Belgian participants are Patrick Storme with ‘Origin of Species’ and Helena Schepens with ‘Undatio’.
Come along and meet the designers, their creations and the innovative concepts and techniques they use. Which object appeals to you most?
- The DIVA museum is open every day from 10h to 18h, except on Wednesdays.
- Address: Suikerrui 17/19, 2000 Antwerpen. It’s located in Antwerp’s historic centre, behind the city hall.
- The standard rate for adults is € 12.
- More information on: https://divaantwerp.be/en